If you are interested in rolling the funds in your traditional IRA into physical precious metals, you must decide how you wish to store them before funding a Self-Directed IRA. Your Allegiance Gold account executive will answer any questions you may have and help you determine which type of storage will work best for your retirement savings needs.
Depository Storage Facility for IRA
A Depository Storage Facility is a third-party storage facility where all precious metals in storage are insured. With depository storage, your precious metals are stored in a high-security facility that’s 100 percent insured against all loss, damage, theft, or other liability. These Depository Storage facilities have highly-advanced security mechanisms and tools such as timed locks, 24 hour monitoring systems, and vibration, motion, and sound detectors. All depositories provide all-risk insurance and maintain a $1 billion insurance policy through Lloyd’s of London.
According to the IRS, Gold and other precious metals in a retirement account are required to be stored in the custody of an IRS-approved custodian at a third-party storage facility until the funds are withdrawn on reaching the predefined retirement age. Putting your precious metals in depository storage ensures that they are fully protected.
There is an added layer of security with any depository. When a depository receives any products, it will first inspect, audit, confirm, and key in the product’s information, including type, quantity, and weight. Afterward, the depository will securely store the precious metals products.
Top Three Depository Storage Facilities:
Allegiance Gold works with the following nationally-recognized depositories for the safekeeping and storage of our clients’ precious metals:
- Delaware Depository (Wilmington, Delaware)
- International Depository Services
- Brinks (Los Angeles, CA or Salt Lake City UT)
Commingled Vs. Segregated Storage
Precious metals stored in a commingled storage option are held in a communal area with other people’s products. Precious metals kept in segregated storage will be separated from all other precious metals at the depository in a storage compartment reserved for private use. Both segregated and non-segregated storage provide an equally strong degree of protection.
There are two options of storage:
- Commingled: A commingled storage in a Gold IRA or a Custom Precious Metals IRA means that your precious metals will be held in a segregated storage area based on the custodian. When you later decide to sell, exchange, or take an in-kind distribution of your precious metals, you will receive “like” precious metals and not the exact metals that you initially purchased.
- Segregated: A segregated storage in a Gold IRA or a Custom Precious Metals IRA ensures that your precious metals will be held in a separate storage area and will be segregated, marked, and stored with your name and IRA account number. When you later decide to sell, exchange, or take an in-kind distribution of your precious metals, you will receive the exact metals that you initially purchased.
Your Allegiance Gold representatives will help you navigate the options for storage that meet your needs.